Lying in a fertile, rich valley, surrounded by the Outeniqua Mountains
to the north and the Indian Ocean to the south, the golfers paradise
George is situated along the N2 Freeway halfway from Cape Town
and from Port Elizabeth.
The administrative capital of the Southern Cape with his two top
ten golf courses in South Africa, his museums, his theatres and his wonderful nature has changed his image of an industrial town to that
of a tourist mecca.
The George Airport (approximately 8 km from city centre) offers scheduled flights to Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg.
The mediterranean climate with warm summers and mild to chilly winters makes George ideal for visiting this area all year round, including outdoor adventures like fishing, diving, cycling, windsurfing and surfing.
- Herolds Bay
- Glentana Bay
- Victoria Bay
- Buffels Bay
George and its possibilities of sightseeing:
- Town Museum
- King Edward VII Library building
- Slave Tree, an ancient English Oak known because of the very large chain and lock embedded in the trunk
- Outeniqua Transport Museum
- Garden Route Botanical Garden
- different Churches (Pacaltsdorp church, dutch reformed Mother Church…)
- Garden Route Mall (Shoppingcentre)
- Fancourt Resort
Daytrips are possible to:
- Knysna (Waterfront)
- Sedgefield (interesting market on Saturdays)
- Plettenberg Bay (including Birds of Eden, Monkeyland and Elephant Sanctuary)
- Mossel Bay (Museum)
- Albertinia (Aloe Vera Farms)
- Oudtshoorn (including Ostrichfarms, Cango Caves, Cango Wildlife Ranch, …)
- Calitzdorp (Wine cellars)